Profile

Our group is discussing same sex marriage rights. In our group is Rachel Gregory, Beth Crowley, and Jackie Gaffney. All three of us feel like same sex marriage should be legal on the federal level. We are interested in seeing what people think about the issue by participating in our poll.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Taking action by Rachel Gregory


            Our service learning project could be outside of class. We would go to register to vote. Since petitions are still being legalized for same-sex marriage the best thing we can do to support same-sex marriage is to vote. There are two ways I found you can take action for this cause. One is to register to vote so on Election Day you can vote for the candidate who believes in same-sex equality. The next thing is joining a gay- straight alliance or a support group.  Here is a link for a gay and lesbian alliance right here in Boston… http://www.bagly.org/about

            My action has already been fulfilled. I have been a registered voter since 2008 and I am ready for Election Day. I still remember the day I registered and my first time voting. I was a great feeling because I felt like a real grown up. My felt my opinion making a difference which is one of the first times I remember feeling that way because no one really takes kids opinions seriously. I would join a gay-straight alliance but I really don’t have much time to commit to another activity. This would be a possibility once I am done with school.

            This is an interesting topic to bring up to students. I would be teaching younger students who are not old enough to vote and I wouldn’t bring up politics in the classroom because that and start a lot of trouble. I would ban discriminating words against homosexuals. I would do this by pulling the student aside and explaining how calling someone that name isn’t nice. I would also explain to my students that homosexuals are no different than any of us, that they are just in love and to me love can come in any shape, size, or gender.  I think if I could get this across to kids at a young age there would be less bullying and they will grow up to be more excepting of others.
            I agree with the quote “Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individuals, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teacher social studies.” In social studies we teach many different things. One of the subjects is the great men and women all around the world who made a difference. If we teach the students about them we can also teach them how to be great like them.


No comments:

Post a Comment